A while ago I purchased a tiny jar of homemade ‘Gentleman’s Relish’ for Mr FGB at my friend’s regular little backyard market made by my sister’s friend Kat. The ingredients of butter, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and anchovies had me intrigued and I knew it was the perfect gift for a man who fancy’s himself as a bit of a gentleman.*
It is a form of anchovy paste which is eaten on nice warm toast.
After polishing the whole jar off in about 5 minutes flat, he was practically licking the inside of the small jar when he said “WHAT was THAT…and where can I get some in larger quantities!?!”
As we happened to have a jar of anchovies in the cupboard (doesn’t everyone?!), he set about experimenting and making up some of his own. We discovered later that this is the recipe that she used.**
- 150 g butter
- a few pinches cayenne pepper
- a few pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tin/jar anchovy fillets, drained and mashed roughly
1. Put the butter, cayenne pepper and a little grated nutmeg into a medium-sized pan and melt over a gentle heat.
2. Add the anchovies and stir for a couple of minutes until they have melted, but don’t let the mixture boil.
3. Pour the relish into a ramekin. Put in the fridge to set.
4. Serve spread thinly on nice warm toast.
Have you heard of something like this before? Could it be the perfect, quick and easy handmade pressie for the gentleman in your life this Valentine’s Day? …… although on second thoughts maybe fish breath is not quite what you’d be after….. it is apparently quite delicious though!
** Mr FGB just blended the ingredients together with electric beaters to get the look you see in the photo instead of melting the butter. We’ll melt the butter next time.