A Creative Camping Weekend

We had such a lovely time camping over the Easter long weekend.  Four nights with my Mum, sisters, their husbands & kids.  7 adults & 5 children.  The weather was perfect.  It started to rain as we were driving out of the camping ground.  Timing.

There is a strong creative influence in our family, so we got up to quite a bit of camp ‘art & craft’ over the weekend with not one of them organised by me!  Going camping with  aunts & uncles who are artists, sculptors, builders & crafty mamas can be quite a bonus!  So much creative fun to be had outside with nature!

They made their own paint from dirt, charcoal & leaves.

They made their own charcoal in fire, using sticks, foil & coals

and did some sneaky grafitti…

They carved sculptures using rocks (children)

and knives (the sculptor uncle)

and even chainsaws (the builder uncle)
 This cricket set below was made with the chainsaw, freehand!

Climbed cubby houses.

Rubbed paper with crayons to discover the secrets beneath.

Children waking at the crack of dawn and long days meant that there was still plenty of time for other non-creative pursuits …

firewood collecting

reading in the hammock

climbing trees

nature collecting

eating potatoes overcooked in foil in the fire

Sack races
making even more easter baskets and hunting for easter eggs

Eating too many easter eggs
Some Bear Grylls re-enacting

and lots of precious quality time

spent with those we love

and the absolute highlight – learning to ride on two wheels for the very first time!

I love my little family, I really do.  Now I’m home.  Never more keen to have a shower!    Exhausted and doing load upon load of dirt encrusted washing!

What did you get up to over the Easter long weekend?

Are you a little addicted to taking photos like me?  I took over 500 photos….(!?!)

Comments

Lovely! We went camping in the wilderness too, looks a bit colder than where you were though. Wombat hunting at night was a favourite…..never spotted any though, just lots of holes to fall into. Looking forward to going again at Christmas!

Wow, what a wonderful weekend away! Yes, I take hundreds of photos too :)<br />I love that the kids made their own paint, I remember doing that as a kid, so much fun.<br />I hope the washing pile goes down quickly. Cat.

love this post Em…why i feel like i was there with you. what a lovely way to spend Easter and all those bush crafts are delightful! <br />And I&#39;m like you Em…i take WAY too many pics xx

Looks PERFECT. I&#39;m blown away, firstly by the overdone potatoes and secondly by the chainsawed modelling of a tennis (cricket) ball. GRIN!

Wow….I&#39;m coming camping with you next time!! Looks like an amazing weekend :) We headed to Tazzie for a wedding that was FREEZING, but was worth it just to catch up with family xx

What a spectacularly hands-on, active and creative trip away. It all looks like so much fun. LOVE all the pics, your children are totally gorgeous… those blue eyes get me every time. Such a nice break from the mundane routine, going camping like that. Hope you feel refreshed and rejuvenated xo

Looks like you had a great weekend of camping. Hope that the washing pile is now a distant memory.<br />I take way too many photos too, where would we be without memories (we can blame the digital age for that)

I am stuck on the hammock. I can see myself lounging in that with some books by the campfire! Look&#39;s fabulous Em. Totes not jealous of your washing though!

What a lovely way to spend Easter! I love that you got up to all those creative activities even out in the bush – and how lucky those kids are to have such artistically talented relatives! Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party! x

It looks like you had a really great time over Easter and the children all look so happy hanging out and just being kids. You are all a crafty lot aren&#39;t you, I love the paint that the children made themselves and that wood carving is amazing. x

So much beautiful inspiration to make camping fun, creative, and memorable for kids. Your photos are breathtaking. Thank you for linking up to the Outdoor Play Party, and I hope you come back again tomorrow.

Quite possibly the coolest camping trip ever! I would love to have that much creativity happening while camping. I bet those kids did not sit still for a moment. What fun!<br />Thanks so much for sharing this with the outdoor play party.