The bottomless jar of Vanilla Extract

Did you know that you could make your own vanilla extract?

I noticed a few people around the blogosphere making them around Christmas time as gifts and I had big plans to do the same, but I only ended up making one – a gift for myself.

DIY VANILLA EXTRACT

Fill a small jar with unflavoured vodka and pop in a couple of vanilla pods.  You might like to cut the vanilla pods in half lengthways first to let the goodness out.  Pop the lid back on and let it brew for a 3-4 months.

That’s it!

The beauty of this method is that when the jar is running a little low, you simply add some more vodka!  A bottomless jar of vanilla!

I made this bottle back in December and it’s ready to use now.  The smell is divine.  If truth be known, I probably went overboard with vanilla pods

They would make a great little gift by adding this little free printable from the Graphics Fairy* of a vintage vanilla extract label.

Have you made vanilla extract before?

What is your favourite use for vanilla extract?
Mine is adding it to cream and piling it on a bowl full of strawberries.  Yum!

For more easy recipes, head over here.

*If you are a fan of vintage graphics – you will find this site to be your mecca!

P.S.  I have seen many, many tutorials online for making your own vanilla extract and brandy & rum can also be used.  Here is a more detailed tutorial should you need it.

Comments

Um, how fantastic! No wonder I love vanilla extract so much, haha! I use it often actually and always substitute it in place of vanilla essence in my recipes. Not sure if that is the right thing to do, but so far it hasn't seen me wrong with the end result. Thanks for this handy tip Emma xo

Hi Emma… I make my vanilla too… my favourite is one that I did with some very fancy brandy that had been left… very tempting just to sip it!! A spoonful on top of vanilla icecream is delish..<br />Hugz

I make it like this too, except I am very lazy so I just drop the pods straight into the vodka bottle. I have two bottles of it at different stages because somehow we seem to go through a lot of it.

Awesome idea, thanks for the tip! I bought some vanilla bean paste a while ago but it is so sticky it has sealed the lid so tight I can&#39;t get it off. I had no idea there was alcohol in vanilla essence, although when you think about it, it makes sense!

I have been reading heaps about this lately – my favourite one was by someone who said the hardest bit was not drinking the vanilla-infused vodka (or brandy, which is just as good!)<br />Glad you liked the fish – I have been thinking of you a lot lately and lurking on FGB as we have a Birthday approaching… I need get organised or I&#39;ll end up lying down with a bottle of (vanilla-infused)

Thanks for sharing Emma, I had no idea you could make your own, and so simple too. I only use vanilla extract in cooking, I will definately be trying this.<br />Jacqueline

I&#39;ve seen this but wondered like Cathie if it tasted a bit too much like alcohol. It is such a clever idea and much more economical then buying.

This is a grab idea! I finally found out why I never get your latest posts and have just caught up. Congratulations on the blogiversary!

Hi there,<br /><br />We&#39;ve recently launched the site Alldishes.co.uk where users can search through tens of thousands of recipes from UK and Irish food sites and food blogs.<br /><br />We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/top-food-blogs<br /><br />If you

10. Anonymous says

[url=http://www.smarttvspots.com/][b]cheap gucci shoes[/b][/url] The parent: Moyers is actually thinking about the introduction involving usually spends Laney &quot;Guardian&quot; described in accordance with the fresh mentor Moyers, Man utd are considering acquiring his or her past stays Laney coming from former golf club Everton, your Belgian midfielder 24000000 fall behind settlement will