A Possum Magic Birthday Party

possum magic book

Last month, deep in the Australian Bush, we had a little Possum Magic themed birthday party! Every Easter we go camping with my two sisters, their partners and children and my Mum.  We go to the same camping spot every year.  No amenities and no one else for miles (apart from the affectionately known “bogans” that set up camp with their loud music,  generator, dirt bikes and dogs every year about 1 km down the road and who get kicked out by the rangers every year).  You can see pics of previous Easter camping creativity here.

australian bush

While we were camping my niece, nephew and husband all celebrated a birthday, so inspired by our location as well as Jackie from My Little Bookcase (thanks Jackie!!!), I organised a little joint birthday party based on a favourite Australian children’s book Possum Magic by Mem Fox.  My family all rolled their eyes of course, knowing that I just couldn’t help myself where birthdays were involved.

We read the book and played pass the parcel with questions from the book.

reading possum magic
SONY DSC
possum magic party
pass the parcel
pass parcelpass the parcel
pass the parcel
A chocolate koala for the winner!
We went hunting for minties in the bush …
… and had a competition (with filthy ‘camping fingernails’) to see who could tear the longest wrapper.
mintie wrapper
We ate pumpkin scones and vegemite sandwiches as a pre-dinner snack.
We ate a dinner of Steak and Salad from Sydney and Mornay from Melbourne.

dinner prep

After dinner was finished darkness had fallen and we ate a dessert of mini pavlovas, lamingtons and pumpkin scones.  A candle in each.  One for each of the birthday peeps.  If you know the book, you’ll know the significance of these particular Aussie foods.
At our birthday parties when my sisters and I were children, we would decorate brown paper bags every year in a very simple way and write the party guests name on them.  We would hang the paper bags on the back of the guests chairs and throughout the party they would collect lollies and prizes from the games and by the end of the party would have a full goodie bag to take home.
We did the same for this party but added a few goodies as well: some Australian animal activity sheets, a balloon, bubbles, Australian animal shaped cookies and a gumleaf bookmark with their name on it.  To make the gumleaf bookmark I wrote the children’s names on the gumleaves with permanent marker and then laminated them.
Possum Magic
Have you had a party themed on a book?  Have you had a party in the bush?
You can see the camping party I did for my husband when his birthday fell on Easter a few years ago – here.
more-party-ideas

P.S.  This is one of the first posts with my new blog address - www.froggooseandbear.com.  If you have previously followed this blog using a feed reader such as bloglovin, feedly, etc. you will need to adjust your records so you don’t miss any new posts!

Comments

Hey! Look at your lovely new digs. Hope it is all working out smoothly so far.

I love those gum leaf bookmarks! Have you seen those gum leaf placemats you can get? With the lacquered gum leaves all collaged together. I’ve always wanted a set of those.

I also love your family tradition of Easter camping at the same place each year, how lovely.

This is incredible. I can barely manage to survive while camping. There is no way I could pull off something this incredible. Just beautiful.

I love your bookmarks too. PLease share your tips. I broke my laminator trying to make some like this.

• says

It helped that the party was on our first night there, and I just couldn’t let their birthdays go uncelebrated.
      I just put the fairly flat gum leaves (that had already dried) into the laminator sheet and popped it through as usual. I’ve had lots of luck with pressed flowers in the past, so thought this would work. Can’t believe your laminator broke when you tried??!! Oh no!

Oh wow, so much to love!
    What a fabulous bunch of ideas.. I may ‘borrow’ a few one day!

Love the look of the new site. Very clean, fresh! YAY!

Tash

4. Anna says

Oh Em this is just so beautiful, I love that it’s so simple too. I think you just inspired me to make an effort with my own upcoming party!

The new place is delightful…it really feels like home. Congrats on the smooth transition. Did you get personal reply with a copy to comments working? If so, please do tell, my cut and paste method is driving me crazy.

• says

Thanks Rebecca! One of the things I am most excited about with the change from blogger to wordpress is that I can now reply to comments via my blog!!! So very hard in blogger when no email address was added. IS this what you mean?

How long can you tear a wrapper is a genius idea, I bet this keeps them occupied for ages! All with a sweetie wrapper. Fab. Lots of good ideas and lovely photos. Great new blog layout Emma. Clare x

What a great spin on a party idea. I bet the kids had a great time hunting for the minties in the bush!!!
    Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday at Smart Party Planning. Hope we see you again next week!

• says

For some reason your comment went into spam Catherine! Sorry! I have rectified! I’ve just added another post to your linky too.

Wow! Great party and organisation skills to pull it off when I’m sure you plenty of other things to think about packing for camping! I’ve done a couple of parties while on holiday but all very simple. x

• says

Thanks! This was simple compared to what I usually do – but I am a little crazy! I just couldn’t let a party go by without celebrating! I did help a lot though that my Mum and two sisters sorted most of the food and we had all camping stuff ready to go in the shed.